Lions Club of Bearspaw

Early History of the Bearspaw Lions Club:

(The following are excerpts from “History of Twenty Five Years of Service to the Bearspaw, Glendale & Westminister Dictricts; July 1953 to June 1978 by Lion Tim Bancroft”) These excerpts are fun to look back on and consider what and how things took place at that time, as compared to now.On July 23, 1953 a special meeting to organize a new (Lions) club was called to order at 9:00 P.M. at the Nag-Way Drive-Inn. There were approximately fourteen men from the surrounding district in attendance,…..

“After a thorough discussion about the advantages of a club in the Bearspaw district, it was moved by Roy Teghtmeyer that a Lions Club be formed in the name of Bearspaw Lions Club,….

“The Club’s first charter night was held October 5, 1953 at the Nag-Way Drive-Inn. Present were the twenty five charter members and approximately seventy five guests including representatives from Rockyford, Calgary-Bowness, Strathmore, Carbon and Great Falls, Montana. The Club’s official charter was presented to President Ted Cushing by District Governor Ken Bailey of Great Falls. “….. sponsoring club, Bowness.

“In May 1955, it was brought to the attention of the club that York Shaw, a Calgary building mover, had a number of surplus army huts for sale. It was moved that the Club investigate and purchase one of the huts at Currie Barracks if suitable. After investigating the T shaped building, it was decided to purchase one section from York Shaw for $750. “…..to move the building to a site at Bearspaw at a cost of $750. Charter member Lauritz Pederson donated approximately three acres of land adjoining the Bearspaw School property on the east side as a site for the new hall…… “During May the members turned out many evenings to level the site.“The concrete for the foundation was mixed in a small half yard mixer, the gravel, sand and cement shoveled in by hand and the concrete wheeled to the forms in wheel barrows. The cement for the job cost $94.50. The 24 foot by 62 foot building was moved onto the foundation early in June,

…. “The first community function held in the new hall was a Halloween party…… It was a big success with nearly 150 children and adults present. The first Lions meeting held in the hall was November 7,1955.”

“The Glendale Womens Institute very kindly donated a copper wash boiler to the hall to be used for heating water in. The 4-H Dairy Club donated 10 dozen cups to be used in the hall.”

Lions Club of Bearspaw Hall

Lions International

Lions are an international network of 1.3 million men and women in 200 countries and geographic areas who work together to answer the needs that challenge communities around the world.

Lions Club of Bearspaw Hall

Hall Rental

The Bearspaw Lions Ballroom is our main event space for weddings, measuring 1,800 square feet. The modern design of this room features neutral décor and is a great backdrop for your dream reception.